Sunday, February 6, 2011

Who knew?


Who knew that my last blog in June, when I was feeling oh so reflective, a precious third little life was starting in my belly?? I most certainly didn't have a clue. And I can promise you that 18 years ago that night, I never imagined myself as a 38 year old with a newborn. But God is good, God is gracious, and He decided that our family needed another member, so He gave us a blessing baby in the form of a little girl.


To say I was shocked by the news would be putting it mildly. Kevin started grad school in August 09 and is scheduled to graduate in May 2011. I accepted the job of Junior League President for the 2010-2011 year (June through May) because my precious Lilly Grace would start kindergarten in the fall of 2010 and I would have so much time on my hands. My two "babies" were entering 3rd grade and kindergarten, and I was about to have a lot of free time on my hands, after all.


Then, on the day of Friday, July 10, a day that Kevin had gone up to Dallas for class and Luke and Lynda went to Dallas to spend a weekend with Kelly (Lilly Grace and mom stayed home because Lilly Grace had been sick), my always on time to the hour period didn't arrive. That was odd. I waited a dutiful 24 hours and then decided it was time to do a test, just for the heck of it, although there was really no way possible for me to be pregnant. But a late period?? Weird. After going through two boxes of sticks that all came up positive in a matter of about 30 minutes (lots of water intake), I concluded that I was growing older and my hormones must be off.


Kevin arrived home on Sunday and I sat him down in a recliner that afternoon and told him I had to tell him something really, really big. News that he needed to be sitting down to hear because I wasn't quite sure how to break it to him. His first response: "Did you lose your bracelet?" (my 10th anniversary present). No--bigger than that. Then fear struck his eyes. What could be bigger news than that? I pulled the sticks out from behind my back and shock registered in his eyes at first, followed immediately by elation. Then I bawled. Then we tried to figure out how on earth . . . . .the conclusion? It was probably a hormone imbalance. The only time she could have possibly been conceived was 2 days after the end of my last period. And that just isn't possible. That was it. The only time. 12 days before I was supposed to be ovulating. Apparently, no one explained that science to my body.


So, I called my doctor's office on Monday. Laughingly told Jennifer, the world's best nurse, that for some reason, I had positive pregnancy sticks, but there was NO WAY I was pregnant. When I explained the timing of events, she concurred. As I was heading to Chicago for our annual summer trip in a few weeks, she concluded that I should wait until I was at least what could have been 10 weeks along before coming in because at that point, we would either hear a heartbeat or know it was some funky hormones.


I did my best to push it to the back of my mind, but, of course, it was at the forefront of every thought. Three children? Kevin would be 40 before this baby was born! Our house isn't equipped for three children! No, it wasn't possible. It was hormones. Plus, I displayed absolutely NO signs of pregnancy. My boobs didn't ache like they did with Lilly Grace, I wasn't crazy emotional like I was with Luke. I didn't crave sleep all day long like I did with Luke. I wasn't remotely nauseated at any time of the day like I was with Lilly Grace. Yes, this was hormones. Plain and simple.


On July 27, the kids and I departed for Chicago. We arrived early that evening after a very uneventful flight. Mom and Dad picked us up at O'Hare, as always. Dad dropped us and our luggage off and then he headed to go get Gino's East pizza for my first night dinner. As I lifted our big suitcase onto the luggage stand, Mom put out her arm and told me to stop--that I shouldn't be lifting. I looked at her like she was nuts and lifted away. As we arrived in the kitchen, she casually asked me when I was due. Tears again ensued. I wanted to wait until that night to tell her and dad together that everything was fine, but I was having some hormone issues. Um, couldn't wait that long--she said she knew the second she saw me on the curb at O'Hare. After we put the kids to bed, I told Dad. They were thrilled, but truly as shocked as we were. They had a late in life miracle in my sister, Ashley (mom was 39 and dad 44 when she arrived on the scene), but I had been an only child to that point. I told them that I really didn't think I was pregnant because I didn't exhibit any of the emotions or feelings of pregnancy. My only symptom was a late period, and with my other two, I had way more symptoms than that.


On the morning of August 9, while still in Chicago, a family friend for the past 25 years, Beth Nagel, offered to meet me at her volunteer organization where she did ultrasounds for women with unplanned pregnancies. Mom and I went. I had felt great our entire 2 week trip and fully expected to either see a molar pregnancy or an empty uterus. Instead, there was a heartbeat. It was real, and apparently, a really, really easy pregnancy. My only symptom was the sticks and a belly that looked really bloated by that time.


On August 17, Kevin and I went to Dr. Haskins in Nacogdoches. When he did an ultrasound, the little one's arm "buds" were waving like crazy. It was like she was so excited to say hello! We both cried tears of joy. We had a true miracle on our hands and it already had such personality! Of course, he talked to us about all the risks associated with pregnancy over 35 and the possibilities of complications with both the pregnancy and the baby. We told him that we would not do either the protein test or amniocentesis, so he said we needed to have a level III ultrasound and genetic counseling.


On August 19, Kevin brought lunch from Bodacious home to myself and Luke and Lilly Grace. Towards the end of the meal, we asked the kids if they like surprises and unexpected gifts. Of course, that got their attention. We told them we had a very special gift and their enthusiasm continued to rise. We then shared the news that our family would be growing around Spring Break. Lilly Grace's jaw literally dropped wide open and stayed there for about 3 minutes while her eyes continually widened. Luke was convinced we were just teasing. When we showed them the ultrasound pictures, Luke still thought we were kidding--that we were showing someone else's baby. They were both tickled and thrilled once they realized we were actually quite serious!


That night, I had girl's group, and it was a cooking class. We were supposed to bring a bottle of wine and wear an apron. I went to Hobby Lobby that afternoon and purchased a black apron and pink and blue paint. I painted "Bun in the Oven Due March 18, 2011" on the front of the apron. This was Kevin's suggestion, and it was a brilliant one. I arrived a little late with my sparkling cider after running in Lisa Griffin's house to tell her the news on the way. The first few girls didn't say anything--Suzy Childers even said, "Oh, cute apron." After about maybe 6 minutes and getting started on food prep, someone finally noticed and said, "What is that on your apron?" The few who had glanced at it assumed it was an old apron from another pregnancy--so to say there were a lot of screams and "No way!" exclamations would be putting it mildly. Several of the girls took pictures of the apron and me to send to their husbands. Suzy Childers took the picture at the top of this entry and posted it on Facebook with the caption, "Guess who's preggers? And it's not me!" Within three minutes, the fourth comment identified me--it was a woman I still don't know!--and there were 23 comments within less than two hours. The word was definitely out and spreading like wildlfire!
Lilly Grace and Luke started school the following Monday, August 23. Kevin and I headed to the Woodlands on October 21 for our Level III ultrasound and genetic counseling. We were blessed to hear and see that everything on this precious one was absolutely perfect and just the way God intended. Our blessing miracle was a blessing in every way! I absolutely lost it during the ultrasound because that precious little one held up her left hand and pointed her finger. My Granny, Susan Jeannette Blailock, was notorious for pointing the finger on her left hand towards us when she had a very important fact to share. In fact, she used to laugh and tell us to bury her with her finger pointing towards heaven just to ensure there was no confusion! To see my baby with a pointed finger that early in the pregnancy was like a nod from not only God, but also my Gran. In every ultrasound since, that precious baby has had a pointed finger at some point. Every. Single. Ultrasound.
Going into the October 21 ultrasound, Kevin really didn't want to know gender, but I did. I decided to look away whenever they were looking for "those parts" and stared into Kevin's eyes telling him how much it was killing me not to look. At the end of the ultrasound, the nurse handed Kevin a sealed envelope with a picture inside of it and told us we could do what we wanted with it, but that it had the gender written on it. On the drive home, we decided to save the envelope for Christmas morning and open it as a family--after all, this baby was such a gift that it seemed perfectly fitting.
I had a couple of ultrasounds at Angelina College (playing the role of guinea pig for the sonography students) prior to Christmas. It was such fun to watch the baby and its activity. Although I know it's not "possible," I first felt movement at 14 weeks. I frequently told Kevin that I felt like the baby was dancing inside of me, and the ultrasounds showed a very active, dancing baby. It would come up and "kiss" the ultrasound wand, do knee lifts to its elbows, and always point a finger. The last present we opened Christmas morning was our envelope and we were overjoyed to learn that the baby is a girl!
It has been such a fantastic pregnancy. We have traveled to Chicago and spent the week before Christmas at DisneyWorld with the kids. I've had a few colds here and there, and the week after Christmas, Lilly Grace had flu B, and Kevin and I got some yukky crud associated with that, but aside from that, easy, easy pregnancy. She is already such a joy!
On January 12, I went to Dr. Sheila Hill's office in Nacogdoches and had a 45 minute 3D/4D ultrasound. I was 30 weeks along. The precious girl has the most gorgeous lips you've ever seen, big round, pudgy cheeks, and she was already sporting rolls on her thighs. She looks so much like Luke and Lilly Grace! On Wednesday, January 26, I went to another ultrasound at Angelina College. Based on the measurements, they concluded that she weighed 5 lbs. 15 ounces. The "projected weight" for a baby that age on Friday, January 28, is close to 4 pounds. She is definitely a healthy, big girl, and for that, I am so thankful.
I was 34 weeks pregnant last Friday, February 4th and am definitely "livin' large." We as a family have had such fun watching this little one stretch around in my belly--she is a busy, busy girl. When Kevin was at school a couple of weekends ago, on January 22, the kids and I watched the DVD of Luke's arrival. We were all in tears at some point, as Luke realized how much we adored him from the start, Lilly Grace realized that newborns have to undergo shots (she is totally outraged about this, people, and it will NOT happen to this baby!), and I realized just how blessed our family is by this gift from God.
The official due date is Friday, March 18. I will definitely be better about keeping up with this blog, as my time up in the middle of the night is extending to a little time on the computer! Who knew last posting that a beautiful blessing was in the works? God is so, so good.

No comments: